Boat Registration Requirements:
- If it is a new boat, a bill of sale is needed. No title is required for boats in the State of Alabama.
- If it is a used boat, a bill of sale and the last boat registration certificate is required. No title is required for boats in the State of Alabama.
- State, County, and/or Municipal sales taxes may be due when registered. All bills of sale must be notarized or have two witness.
- Registration costs:
$20.00 (boats less than 16ft),
$25.00 (boats 16ft to 26ft),
$75.00 (boats 26ft to 40ft), and
$100.00 (boats 40ft and UP).
$5 (transfer fee)
$5 (replacement fee)
$5 (duplicate fee)
- Please call for additional information.
Every person age 12 and older, who operates a motorized vessel on state waterways must obtain an operators certification on or before April 28, 1999. All applicants must present a certification certificate issued by the Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources in Montgomery or take a written exam at their local driver examination office.
Any one 40 years old or older as of April 28, 1994, is required to be certified but do not have to pass an examination. They can bring in their valid drivers license and have the vessel class added to their license.
Proof Of Age:
All minors must furnish to the drivers license examiner a certified copy of their birth certificate or a certified statement from the superintendent of the school which the person attends containing name, date of birth, and address.
Cost of Certification:
A one time fee of $5.00 (five dollars) cash will be charged as an application fee.
How to Obtain Boat Operators Certification:
1. Applicant must go to Department of Public Safety Driver's License Examining Office in county of residence. If needed, study manuals will be available in this office.
2. Make application and pay fee.
3. Take eye exam and answer medical questions.
4. Successfully complete written/oral exam, or show proof of exemption.
5. Take form DL-2 from Drivers License Examining Office to Probate Judge Office to have the "V" endorsement placed on drivers license. The renewal fee for drivers license is $23.00 and expires in four years. If you are a non-resident or non-licensed driver, the cost is $23.00 for the initial drivers license. If the applicant is requesting changes on his non-expiring drivers license, the duplicate fee is $18.00.
Exemptions From Examination Requirements:
1. Holder of a valid United States Coast Guard Motorboat Operator's License.
2. Person submitting a valid certificate of successful completion of:
A. United States Power Squadron Boating Course.
B. United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Course.
C. Any State of Alabama Marine Police Division approved boating course (Alabama BoatingBasic Course or Alabama Boating Basic Home Study Course).
D. Any boat operator who was 40 or older on April 28, 1994.
NOTE: Boating course certificates or motorboat operator's license must be submitted to the Driver's License Examiner at the time of making application.
NOTE: The operator certification must be in possession at time of vessel operation. Additional Information can be obtained by contacting the office below:
Alabama Marine Police Division, Operator Certification
64 N Union St.
Montgomery, Alabama 36130